2 reported dead: Officials order residents to stay home as floodwaters rise


I would take some pictures myself but my camera really sucks. I grabbed these from the local newspaper.





As officials assess the damage this morning left in the wake of Hurricane Irene, a warning to stay off roads remains in place.

“Stay home today please,” Monmouth County Sheriff Shaun Golden said. “We don’t need additional traffic on the roadways.”

Driving on flooded roads cost at least one woman her life this morning in Salem County.

State Police reported a woman who called authorities for help from her car on a flooded road was found dead in the vehicle hours later.

Sgt. Brian Polite said the woman made a call for help at about 1:40 a.m. to say her car was stuck on a flooded road in Pilesgrove. Police said her body was found in the car by police at about 9:30 a.m.

At this time on the Shore, Golden and county OEM director Michael Oppegaard said the expected low-lying Bayshore communities of Sea Bright, Keansburg are under water.
read more

Thanks goodness we only lost power for a little while last night. Everyone in the neighborhood has water in their basements (including me) but there is no serious damage to property. The wind is still very strong out there with strong gusts. People were evacuated a few blocks from me because they are very close to the South River and they always get hit with the storm surge. There was a 9PM curfew instituted last night per the 911 reverse calls. I'm so glad my screend in porch survived the storm because my cat Amata would really miss sunbathing out there. She stayed under a chair last last and would come out once in a while to be petted. I think she sensed something was going on what with all the wind and noise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...